The Iowa Museum Association will hold Iowa Museum week June 9-16, 2013.
2012 Iowa Museum Week handout
Iowa's museums are important community assets, attracting visitors to area hotels, restaurants, and recreational areas; providing education and outreach for all ages; driving both incoming tourism revenue and job creation; and contributing to the overall quality of life that makes Iowa's communities great places to live, work, and raise a family.
Iowa Museum Week is an opportunity for museums to raise awareness of their special qualities and contributions to their community, county, region, and state. Museums are invited to participate in whatever way works for their unique institution. Here are some ideas:
1. Invite your legislators to visit your museum
2. Hold an Open House for the community - extend your open hours and your accessibility
3. Write a letter to the editor thanking your community for their support and highlighting your events and exhibits during Iowa Museum Week.
4. Update your exterior signage - is it easily seen? Are the correct hours of business stated?
5. Celebrate your volunteers! Hold a volunteer appreciation event during Iowa Museum Week - be sure to alert the local media so they can cover the event and take photographs.
6. Highlight your heritage with a press release, a new publication, or community presentations. Share with your community the history of your museum and how it contributes to the overall quality of life you all enjoy.
For more information please contact IMA Director Cyndi Sweet at email@example.com