Participate in IOWA MUSEUM WEEK
in any way you can, remembering that the purpose is to raise awareness of Iowa’s museums as educators, economic engines, stewards, community anchor institutions, cultural attractions, incentive for economic development, employers, and purchasers of goods and services.
Use this opportunity in whatever manner
works best for your museum. Make sure that whatever you choose to do it
is RELEVANT and MEANINGFUL to your community and that you GET THE WORD
Here are some ideas:
1. Invite your legislators to visit your museum
2. Hold an Open House for the community - extend your open hours and your accessibility
3. Write a letter to the editor thanking your community for their support and highlighting your events and exhibits during Iowa Museum Week.
4. Update your exterior signage - is it easily seen? Are the correct hours of business stated?
5. Celebrate your volunteers! Hold a volunteer appreciation event during Iowa Museum Week - be sure to alert the local media so they can cover the event and take photographs.
6. Highlight your heritage with a press release, a new publication, or community presentations. Share with your community the history of your museum and how it contributes to the overall quality of life you all enjoy.